MajorIPC is a leading distributor of DuPont Vespel parts to major manufactures, OEM’s, large & small resellers. The Vespel parts and shapes we stock at major IPC have been tested and proven effective in very harsh environments and highly demanding applications.
Vespel products are made from a variety of materials like polyimides, thermoplastics, composites and chemically-resistant polymers and they offer a unique combination of physical properties and design flexibility.
Vespel parts can be used under extreme operating conditions. Unlike most plastics, Vespel products do not outgas at high temperatures and they also perform well in vacuum applications, at extremely low temperatures. They help extend both equipment life and maintenance intervals.
Vespel parts and shapes we stock
SP-1: virgin polyimide
SP-21: 15% graphite by weight
SP-22: 40% graphite by weight
These parts are available as custom parts, stock shapes, components or assemblies.
- Semiconductor processing
- Farm equipment
Depending on the grade, Vespel parts exhibit some or most of the properties listed:
- A very low coefficient of friction
- Low wear and low friction at high pressures and velocities (lubricated or unlubricated)
- Outstanding creep resistance
- Good strength and impact resistance
- Minimal thermal expansion
- High radiation resistance
- High purity, low outgassing in vacuum
- Inherently flame retardant
- Good chemical resistance
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
- Minimal thermal conductivity
- Excellent machinability
When you should consider using Vespel materials
- Critical applications such as aerospace or military where Vespel products may be the ASTM specified product.
- High temperature environments with no loss of properties.
- High load applications such as bearings.
- As a long-lasting material with low friction and high stability combined with heat and wear resistance.
- For weight savings: Vespel products can be an excellent alternative to metals such as aluminum or metallic alloys, or ceramics. Its properties may even exceed that of metal and ceramic.
- When lubrication may not be viable, when you need a low wearing material that can withstand poor tolerances or when you need low friction to improve efficiency.
- Vespel SCP-50094 possesses some of the highest unlubricated pressure-velocity limits among engineering plastics.
- As an easy to machine alternative to ceramic. DuPont™ Vespel products have electrical insulation properties like ceramic, but its ease of machining using standard machining techniques means it can cost less to fabricate Vespel than ceramic. This is especially true for designs that include details like under cuts, holes, or threads.
- Vespel is also tougher than ceramic and it can take high impact.
- In a critical testing environment or when you need a low outgassing product.
- When you need good chemical resistance or a material that will work well under hard vacuum, radiation, oxygen compatibility, cryogenic conditions, and exposure to flame.